Friday 4 July 2008

ROBERT BURNS MEMORABLE VISIT TO ROSSLYN CHAPEL.

ROBERT BURNS MEMORABLE VISIT TO ROSSLYN CHAPEL.

On Robert Burns first vist to Rosslyn Chapel he ate at the local Inn.
Robbie scribed a poem to the Inn Keeper Annie Wilson on a pewter plate which read;

Robert Burns
My Blessings on you sonsie wife!
I ne'er was here before;
You've gi'en us walth for horn and Knife,
Nae heart could wish for more.

Heaven keep you free from care and strife,
Til far ayont fourscore;
And while I toddle on through life,
I'll ne'er gang by your door.
***
As you may read he was very appreciative of the food and refreshments;
but if you are still unsure; here is how this Scotsman reads it;
*****
My blessings on you sonsie (pretty) wife!
I ne'er (never) was here before;
You've gi'en (given) us walth ( abundance of good food) for horn (plate) and Knife,
Nae (no) heart could wish for more.

Heaven God bless) keep you free from care (no worries) and strife, (trouble)
Til far ayont fourscore (till your age is far beyond 80);
And while I toddle ( walk on) on through life,
I'll ne'er (never) gang (go) by (past) your door.
(this last line means he will always visit if in the vicinity)

Don't forget to put Mauchline in you diary when you visit on Homecoming Scotland 2009 celebrations year and follow the Burns trail.
Is it news to you ? then you read it here first!

No comments: