Friday 21 November 2008

ROBERT BURNS LETTER TO MR THOMSON HIS PUBLISHER.

ROBERT BURNS LETTER TO MR THOMSON HIS PUBLISHER.

ROBERT BURNS LETTER TO MR THOMSON dated 16th September 1792 Dumfries.
Sir,
I have just this moment got your letter. As the request you make to me will positively add to my enjoyments in complying with it, I shall enter into your undertaking with all the small portion of abilities I have, strained to their utmost exertion by the impulse of enthusiasm.
Only, don't hurry me:"Deil tak the hindmost," is by no means the cri de guerre of my muse. Will you, as I am inferior to none of you in enthusiastic attachment to the poetry and music of old Caledonia, and, since you request it, have cheerfully promised my mite of assistance - will you let me have a list of your airs, with the first line of the printed verses you intend for them, that I may have the opportunity of suggesting any alteration that may occur to me. You know 'tis in the way of my trade; still leaving you, gentlemen, the undoubted right of publishers, to approve, or reject, at your pleasure, for your own publication. A propos! if you are for English verses, there is, on my part, an end to the matter. Whether in the simplicity of the ballad, or the pathos of the song, I can only hope to please myself in being allowed at least a sprinkling of our native tongue. English verses, particularly the works of Scotsmen, that have merit, are certainly very eligible. "Tweedside;" Ah! the poor shepherd's mournful fate!" Ah! Chloris could I now but sit," &c. you cannot mend; but such insipid stuff as, "To Fanny fair could I impart," &c. usually set to "The Mill, Mill O," is a disgrace to the collections in which it has already appeared, and would doubly dusgrace a collection that will have the very superior merit of yours. But more of this in the farther prosecution of the business, if I am called on for my strictures and amendments - I say, amendments; for I will not alter except where I myself at least think that I amend.
As to any remunerations, you may think my songs either above or below price; for they shall absolutely be the one or the other. In the honest enthusiasm with which I embark in your undertaking, to talk of money, wages, fee, hire, &c. would be downright prostitution of soul! A proof of each of the songs that I compose or amend, I shall receive as a favour. In the rustic phrase of the season, "Gude speed the wark!"
I am sir, your very humble servant,
Robert Burns.
***************
Robert Burns letter to his publisher shows very clearly he only wished his work to be kept in his native tongue.
I wonder what Robert Burns would think of this venture...

No comments: